New ! Search
Full Menu and site Navigation
A better world through a systems approach

General Information 

Is there a roster of Certified Systems Engineering Professionals available for distribution? 

INCOSE maintains a list of the names, geographic areas (city, state, and country), and certification level of those recognized as Expert Systems Engineering Professionals, Certified Systems Engineering Professionals, and Associate Systems Engineering Professionals. That list is posted monthly on the main Certification page

How do I update my name, email address, mailing address, chapter, or company? 

INCOSE members can update their information at any time via their account profile at Changes may also be e-mailed to It is important for all Systems Engineering Professionals and applicants to maintain a current email address with INCOSE in order to receive renewal notices and other information.  

Certification Process Timing 

How long do I have to complete my certification process? 

You have one year from the time your payment is received initially in the INCOSE Certification Office to complete your certification. If the process is not completed within the one-year time period, the applicant will have to restart the process from the beginning, including paying another application fee.


 How do I obtain an application for certification?

The preferred method is to download the application form from our website, here: If you cannot download the form, please call or email our office using the contact info on this website. 

Business Practices 

Do I have to be a member of INCOSE to be certified? 

Yes, you do need to be an individual, senior, or student INCOSE member to apply for certification as an ASEP, CSEP, or ESEP, and you need to maintain your INCOSE membership for the duration of your certification. CSEPs who applied or were certified in 2015 or earlier do not need to be INCOSE members to maintain their certification. 

How is CAB membership useful with respect to Certification? 

Organizations that have joined INCOSE’s Corporate Advisory Board, can pass along some INCOSE membership benefits to their employees. Two of these benefits affect the Certification process: free access to the electronic version of the INCOSE SE Handbook and reduced renewal fees for INCOSE Certified Systems Engineering Professionals. 

Does INCOSE certification as a Systems Engineering Professional authorize me to practice systems engineering in my city/state/province/country? 

INCOSE Certification as a Systems Engineering Professional does not authorize an individual to practice systems engineering. Certification is a confirmation that an individual has demonstrated the requisite knowledge, education, and experience associated with the certification. Only legally empowered government organizations, through licenses, authorize individuals to practice a skill or profession. 

Can I obtain an INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional Certification for my business? 

INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional Certification recognizes the systems engineering capabilities of an individual only. It is not granted to a business. 

Equivalency Programs

I have a Systems Engineering certification from another organization besides INCOSE. May I be recognized as an INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional on the basis of that, without having to go through the entire INCOSE Certification process? 

INCOSE works with several universities and other certifying bodies to recognize equivalencies or create streamlined paths to INCOSE Certification. Please go to or email for more information. 

I hold SE-ZERT Level C. What is the process for me to be recognized as an INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional? 

Individuals holding SE-ZERT Level C and Level B should work with GfSE to request INCOSE Certification. 

What can I do to get my non-INCOSE certification recognized as equivalent by INCOSE’s Certification Program? 

Certification equivalency is evaluated by INCOSE’s Certification Program Office in response to a request initiated by the other certification’s sponsoring organization. The sponsoring organization should email to start a conversation about equivalency. 

Training Courses 

I would like help with the Certification process. How can I find a training provider? 

The Certification Program does not endorse or oversee any provider, including products of INCOSE chapters and working groups. The Certification Program does maintain a list of known training providers that can be emailed to you. Please visit Training Providers for the most current list. 

I help others with the Certification process. How can I ensure I get the latest information about changes to the Certification Program? 

Updates about the Certification Program are posted on the less formal website: and in the INCOSE Certification groups on LinkedIn. You are also welcome to email the Certification Program Manager at with specific questions.

Appeals & Complaints 

My application for certification was denied. What can I do? 

Complete INCOSE Form 11 from the Certification Forms page, and submit it to the Certification Program Office

I have a suggestion for improving the Certification Program. Whom should I contact?

 The best way to provide feedback to the Certification Program is through an email to Include the general or specific details of your suggestion. If you would like to discuss the feedback in greater depth with the Certification Program Manager, include your phone number and several times of day when it would be good to contact you. 

If a complaint is filed against me for being unethical, what are my options? 

All complaints about being unethical are reviewed by the Certification Office, and if necessary, an investigation is initiated. The person alleged to being unethical is encouraged to present his/her case in defense. 

How do I report a Systems Engineering Professional that I know is practicing unethically? 

Contact the INCOSE Certification Program office to obtain guidance on filling a complaint of unethical practice by a certified systems engineering professional. 
Investigation of complaints can sometimes be a lengthy process and may take many months to complete. The Board makes every effort to pursue the matter as soon as possible; however, some cases take longer than others due to the technical nature and circumstances of the complaint. All cases are initially reviewed by the Board to decide if additional information is needed. Then the person against whom the allegation is made is interviewed before a decision is made on any action. The commitment of the Board is that you, as the complainant, will be notified when the case is concluded and told the Board's recommendations and actions taken. 

I have been working for 25 years but do not have a college Bachelor’s degree and have contact information for only my current supervisor of the past three years. Can I become certified? 

You can become certified if you meet the minimum requirements. In your case the minimum requirements for CSEP without a qualifying college degree are at least 15 years of engineering experience of which at least five years must be in performing systems engineering. You must ensure that you have at least 12 months of experience in each of at least 3 of the SE functional areas. You also need verification of your 5 years of SE experience by references who are ether current or former colleagues who have at least 5 years of systems engineering experience, though they are not required to be systems engineers. For the 10 additional years of engineering experience, you need at least 5 years verified by references who are knowledgeable of the same type of experience you are claiming (not necessarily systems engineering experience) and knew you during the time you were performing that work.